Friday, February 2, 2018

#247 Rock'n'Roll Friday

Hail Satan! - You just said that in your head, and just hailed Satan. Welcome to Friday!


This past Sunday the Alaska/Portland band 'Portugal. The Man' won a Grammy. They thanked those who helped to get them to that stage and earn the award. They then gave a shout-out to Dog Mushers, and kids from rural villages and towns across Alaska encouraging them to be proud of where they are from: "Rep where you're from." Zach even gave a shout-out to my hometown, and several others which is badass in its own right. Then in pure Rockstar mode Zach exclaimed: "Hail Satan" and John wiped his ass with the Grammy award.

Pure brilliance and badassness again.

I'm pivoting.

As I was driving into work this morning a song came on my device that I had downloaded after hearing it on one of the music programs I distribute. I don't remember if the show was "Earthsongs", "Indigenous in Music", "UnderCurrents", or "Soul Deluxe". Anyway - the song is from Raye Zargoza, multinational heritage (Native American (O'odham), Mexican, Taiwanese and Japanese), titled 'American Dream'. 


The Native American perspective is different from any other ethnic group in the United States. They pre-date any other Ethnic group currently residing in the nation. They've fought to keep their land, survived Extinction efforts, they fight to protect the land, they have to validate to the Government with blood quanta certificates to be recognized as their ethnicity. It is the perspective, philosophy, and presence of the Native American that will be one of the things that heals and keeps the U.S. great. 

In my opinion, this song encapsulates that vision I have. I was going to go with PTM for the rock'n'roll song of the week - but Raye, take it away. 


Do you know why?

No comments: